Interview with Yuuki in the Netherlands






For several years already she has been a guest at various conventions, and on August 28th, just after her Dutch debut, Yuuki chatted with us about her history, her music, anime and manga and of course AbunaiCon.


First I’d like to congratulate you on the success of your performance.

Yuuki: Thank you! I really enjoyed it and I hope I can return to the Netherlands soon. The listeners’ reactions surprised me. I’m looking back on it very positively!

Could you introduce yourself to our readers?

Yuuki: Hello, nice to meet you all. My name is Yuuki. I'm a singer-songwriter from Japan, and currently from Europe as well.

How would you convince someone to check out your music?

Yuuki: How... My appearance seems very calm, yet my songs are lively. I hope people can see this difference.


How did you get into music?

Yuuki: I’ve loved both music and singing ever since I was young. During junior high I sang a capella and later I sang in a band. However, I rather wanted to be on my own, try different things by myself, write my own songs. In my final years of high school I started singing solo in the streets of Saitama.

And how did you end up in Tokyo?

Yuuki: I decided that when I could make an independent CD, without an agency, I would go to Tokyo. After making this record the logical next step was going to Akihabara.

So in 2004 you were singing in Saitama, now it’s six years later, and you are singing in Europe. What has changed in you as an artist?

Yuuki: In 2004 it was unthinkable to go to Europe, I couldn’t even dream of something like that. Now I’ve grown up and I don’t just mean my appearance. Since 2004 I have discovered new musical styles within myself and I know now how important it is to make good contacts with people. I guess that is what has changed.

About conventions now. This is your first solo performance. All the previous times you performed in Europe was with Jelly Beans. How is performing alone different for you?

Yuuki: I was never really nervous when performing with Jelly Beans, but when I have to get up on the stage by myself I am twice as nervous! Everyone is looking at me and nobody’s there to help me. It’s tough, but on the other hand it’s nice to be working alone too.

Is that how you feel about composing music as well? Is it easier to write songs by yourself?

Yuuki: Even for Jelly Beans I write all the songs. Those are more pop and light in atmosphere. My solo work has a stronger feeling. I enjoy both, just like performing, it’s different but equally fun.

Let’s continue on music now we’re at it. Kokoro ni saku hana, which you sang today, has a different feeling than your other work. Can you tell us more about this song?

Yuuki: It’s the ending theme of a J-drama called "Bit Bullet." I was asked to write it for the DVD release. The music shows the atmosphere of the drama.

Have you done or are you doing more of these projects?

Yuuki: Not specifically writing songs for other people. Some of my older songs have been used for commercials though and one has been used for a TV show’s ending theme.

Kaze, a song on your first album Life, made an impression on me. I was curious about the story behind this one.

Yuuki: I wrote it in 2009 when there was a lot of heavy news in Japan. I wanted to lighten the atmosphere that was prevailing in Japan, I wanted people to feel better when listening to Kaze. The recording process was emotional and after recording the PV I actually cried. It’s a special song for me too personally, it has a lot of feelings in it.

Do you play any instruments yourself as a singer-songwriter?

Yuuki: I use a synthesizer when writing music, but it’s not meant for performances. Not to be heard by anyone! I’d get really nervous.

How is playing an instrument different than using your own instrument, your voice?

Yuuki: Even though I’m also very nervous before going on stage, once I’m there and I start singing, I just forget everything and become someone else.

Since you perform at conventions a lot I wonder, do you like anime yourself too?

Yuuki: I love anime very much! During high school I was a real otaku. I had a lot of merchandise for example.

If you could cosplay someone, who would it be?

Yuuki: Difficult question…At home I have costumes of Haruhi Suzumiya and Evangelion, and as a girl I did purikura in cosplay sometimes. I have a lot of cosplay at home. Today I have seen many cosplays and it always makes me really want to join in too!

Has this love meant something for you as an artist as well?

Yuuki: When I was in high school I watched a lot of anime and me and my friends would sing anime themes for karaoke. I think anime songs and pop music have influenced my own songs.

Are there any other things you have planned here in Holland?

Yuuki: Not this time. I arrived today from Düsseldorf and that’s where I’ll be heading back to tonight. Tomorrow I’ll be flying back to Japan. I want to get to know more about Holland though.

What will we see from you in the near future?

Yuuki: By the end of September I’ll come back to Europe for Japan Week-end in Madrid, Spain. I’ve been in Europe for one and a half months. After I’ve returned in Japan tomorrow I’m going to take it easy for a while, but I would really like to come back to Holland.

As a final question, do you have a message to our readers?

Yuuki: From now on I will do my best even more to make my music known in Europe. Please support me!

Thank you for the interview and good luck on your career!

Yuuki: Thank you!






Source : Jame world

Comments